Monday, November 21, 2011

The Vet Update

Took Hunter and Amos back to the vet for a re-check.  Hunter is 100% better and Amos will remain on antibiotics for the remainder of his life.  But giving a couple of pills a day is nothing.  I remember having to give IV fluids to a couple of older cats for a long period of time........Even our Schnauzer had to have fluids for a short time. We have had two pets that were diabetic and had shots twice a day.   All our friends used to kid us that we were running an animal hospital annex.  Even now there's a bag of fluids hanging on the wall in the kitty room.

My car got dropped off at the Shell station on Mill plain in Vancouver.  I can't run the heat or the air without the idle dropping and almost killing the engine.  Hopefully I will be able to use the heat on the way home from there.  By the time I got the car there today my nose was below zero.  It was super chilly today.  I don't think we got above 42 degrees.  My husband followed me there and then we took the cats to the vet.  After the vet we went to BI-Mart to get my hair coloring.  I came out of the store and was looking for my Trailblazer until it dawned on me that it was a red pickup I was looking for.  I must have looked really dumb standing there with a blank expression on my face.

This week I start cooking for Thanksgiving. I'll be starting with the corn pudding.  This dish was created during the depression as a meat substitute.  For anyone interested here's the recipe:

Grease a 2 quart oven proof casserole dish.

In the casserole dish empty

1 can of cream style corn
1/4 lb butter melted
1 small jar of chopped pimento's
1 can pitted black olives sliced
1 pint tomato sauce ( 16 fluid ounces)
1 cup yellow corn meal
2 eggs beaten
1 1/4 cup milk
1 medium onion minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika

Stir all ingredients until blended.

Cook at 325 degrees until the center is firm ( a knife should come out clean when inserted into the center)
If you make this ahead of time....don't let the center set.  On the day you wish to serve this dish just put it in the oven again at 325 degrees and cook until the center is set.  This dish will also freeze well when fully cooked.
This is a big favorite in our family...I hope you enjoy it with your family as well.
Good Night From Muttzncatz's Place

No comments:

Post a Comment