Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Like A Thief In The Light

Here's an update about the flower under the deck stairs.  It's called Indian Pipe, corpse plant, ghost flower, fairy smoke, or ice plant.  Two weeks after I posted the picture it looked like this:
Now the whole plant is starting to turn black.  One of the chutes is completely black, stem and all.  It's an ugly nasty looking plant.  I'm still wondering how it got there.  Here's the article I found on it:

Right in front of this plant and to the right I had a religious statue of Mary.  It was given to me by a dear friend before she moved away from this neighborhood.  Yesterday morning I got up at 10:30 AM and went through my day as usual.  At 5:30 PM I was hand watering that area with a hose and I noticed the statue had disappeared.  The ground was still wet where the stand for Mary had been.  Sometime between the time I got the paper and the time I watered the plants it was stolen.  That's in broad daylight!  Why would someone want a statue that had no color and was starting to turn a lovely color of green from mold?
I filed an online Police report because our foot patrol told me to.  The statue wasn't very valuable.... it was just the sentiment. I'm guessing this thief had no taste.

We have cooled off for a couple of days. It was 100 degrees F the other day.  That's too hot for me.  I'm looking forward to getting back to the Fall and Winter weather soon.  I understand we are going to be in the nineties again next week.  I'm sooo looking forward to it that I have started knitting a pair of socks.  Before the good weather goes away I want to get outside and do some watercolors.

Better go... but I'll try to get a picture of the blackened corpse plant before it dies off completely.

Good Night From Muttzncatz's Place

No comments:

Post a Comment