Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Police Are Here (continued)

OK, here's the deal on yesterday.  Most of my afternoon was taken up by thieves working across the street from us.  I can't believe how bold thieves have become.  Broad daylight and they are out stealing metal from an abandoned home.  I shouldn't say it was abandoned,  it's still full of the peoples possessions but they are not living there.  They're taking care of an elderly relative but still paying the bills for their home.

I was doing my housework and took something out to the recycle bin around 1:00 P.M. when a pickup pulled up in front of their home. ( this was not the first time these thieves have been there)  I turned and watched two kids in their twenties get out of the vehicle, one holding a sledge hammer and the other clapping his hands and calling an imaginary animal.  Now this was incredibly dumb since the guy clapping his hands was calling attention to the two of them.  They both disappeared around the sides of the house. I ran inside and went to where I could see them better and dialed  9-1-1.  I made my report but before I finished they were getting back into their truck and leaving without taking anything.  I told the emergency operator that I thought they were going to come back and steal something at a later time.  They dispatched a police officer to come and take my report and have a look around.  About 15 minutes later the officer was at my door and we discussed what I had witnessed.  When he finished with me he went over to the home and had a look.  He emerged from the side of the house hanging onto a sledge hammer,  He tossed it into his trunk and off he went. 
I went back to work on my chores. Half an hour to forty five minutes later here comes the pickup again.  The kids hop out and one is carrying two small shovels. Again they disappear around the house.  This time I grabbed my digital camera and went outside behind my van and started shooting pictures.  I shot a really good picture of the back of the pickup, went back inside and called 9-1-1 again.  Made another report and like before they left before I finished.  Two policemen showed up this time about five minutes after I completed the call.  It seems another neighbor had called in a report also.  After speaking to the officers, the only thing they were concerned about was the fact that the license plates were not the same on the front and the back of the vehicle.  They were both the same state but different numbers.  Can you beat that?  They didn't care about the robbery, just the plates!  I think part of that stems from the fact that the people who own the house are hoarders and the place looks like it should have been blown up or condemned long ago.
But jeez!  They love their stuff.....even if they can't find all of it.
Next time I'm getting a picture of the kids.  I know they'll be back 'cause it's easy pickins.

So that was my afternoon yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment